Designed primarily for ballplayers ages 6-8, this division makes use of a pitching machine to allow for more hittable balls at the plate and more action in the field. Fear of actually being hit by a pitched ball is diminished. It makes the game safer and improves the playing confidence and ability of all participants.
Within Rookie - Pineville offers two levels, Rookie I and Rookie II
Geared toward 6 and 7 year olds with lower machine-pitch setting. Rookie I does not use a catcher and base-running / advancement rules are modified to ease the transition. Full rules are linked below.
Rookie I Objectives:
- Introduce traditional baseball gameplay (strikeouts, force outs, tag plays)
- Improve swing mechanics and gain repetitions hitting a 'pitched' ball in live scenarios
- Reinforce fielding positions and responsibilities (cover, back up , cut-off)
Developmental Milestones (readiness for Rookie II division):
- Consistently able to hit ball pitched from machine
- Grasp of game rules and situational awareness (when to throw to first, when a tag is appropriate vs a force out)
- Able to field a position (attentive to batted ball, move to intercept, field and throw to target)
- Understands concept of running 'at risk' and listens to base coaches
Geared toward 7 and 8 year olds (or advanced younger players) with increased machine-pitch settings. Rookie II introduces the catcher position as well as more traditional base-running / advancement. Full rules are linked below.
Rookie II Objectives:
- Continued exposure to baseball gameplay concepts (double plays, tagging up on fly balls, identifying and stopping the lead runner)
- Reinforce batting, fielding and throwing mechanics. Introduce next-level concepts (i.e. fielding in position to make a quick throw, calling out scenarios pre-pitch, ability to identify and adjust to inside/outside or high/low pitches
- Advanced baserunning - players should be able to identify and react appropriately to opportunities to advance / need to retreat.
Developmental Milestones (readiness for Minors division):
- Ability to recognize / adjust to different types of pitched balls (high/low/inside/outside)
- Able to field their position consistently cleanly and make appropriate play for a given scenario
- Able to throw and catch comfortably. Fields the ball in front, receives thrown balls comfortably in front of body. Can throw to a target with consistency